Thursday, June 5, 2008

Overcoming Fear

Psalm 23:4
Psalm 46:1-3
2 Timothy 1:7

I recently heard writer/speaker Angela Thomas say that she was "very familiar with the Bully of fear". I agree with this title for Satan because he meets so many of the requirements for being a bully. A bully likes to hit you when you are down. A bully seeks you out when you are alone. A bully looks for your weak spots and that is where he strikes. Satan does all of those things and more. He is definitely a bully.

Unfortunately, I am extremely familiar with this bully as well. For as long as I can remember, fear has been an issue in my life. I was afraid of the dark as a child. I can remember singing "Victory in Jesus" as I went to sleep many nights. As time went on my fears changed, but the feelings of helplessness they evoked stayed the same.

I am convinced that Satan's favorite time to strike is at night. Even if we are not physically alone, we are alone in the fact that everyone else is sleeping. It is quiet and there is virtually no escape from whatever fear he decides to throw at us. He always seems to hit me in my weakest areas at night.

In my early 20's, the bully started meeting me head on. B. J. and I had been married about two years when we both started experiencing very strong spiritual warfare. We were in ministry and B. J. was about to take his first full-time ministry position. Satan wanted to destroy us. He meant to destroy our ministry, our witness, our marriage, and our lives. We had discussed how we felt as if we were under attack, but I do not think either one of us knew how much the other was struggling. I will never forget one day when I was standing in the kitchen, B. J. came in and said, "I don't know who we think we are trying to fight Satan with our own words. Jesus fought him with the Word of God, we have to do the same."

That statement truly changed my life. I read the passage in Matthew 4:1-11 and realized that Jesus never answered Satan with "leave me alone!". He answered him with the very Word of God! Satan has no power over scripture. He has to flee. If we want to fight the enemy, then we have to have the ammunition. The Word of God is our only ammo! If we want to have our ammunition ready, we have to hide God's Word in our heart (Psalm 119:11).

Sometimes I still awaken in fear with thoughts that can only be from the bully. I quote scripture to drive him out of my mind. I have even sang praise songs in the middle of the night. Turns out "Victory is Jesus" is not a favorite of the enemy! If I am really struggling, I will get up and just read the Word out loud if I have to. What's amazing to me is that fear has led me closer to God and to His Word. Satan "intended to harm me, but God intended it for good..." Genesis 50:20 (NIV)

A very wise man named James Long used to say,
"God will never waste an experience".

God can use even our difficult times, problems, and fears for His glory. The question is not will God use this, the question is will you let Him?

1 comment:

B.J. Price said...

"I don't know who we think we are trying to fight Satan with our own words. Jesus fought him with the Word of God, we have to do the same."

Amen! I said it once and I'll say it again. Thanks for the refreshing reminder to be armed with the Word of God today!

"Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the Devil and he will flee from you. (James 4:7)