Friday, June 6, 2008

The Need for Fellowship

Acts 2:42-47
Hebrews 10:25

I love the Body of Christ! The media bashes us, and the world does not know what to do with us. It is a great group to be a part of!

I am always encouraged by fellow sisters in Christ that I share Bible study with. What I love about it is the willingness to get together, put your own agenda aside, and dig into God's Word to find truth. Recently, I was pleasantly surprised by some of the ladies' transparency in Bible Study. Many times I feel where we as the church fall short is in honesty about our struggles. However this past week I witnessed many ladies openly admitting their needs in search of prayer, encouragement, and accountability. How refreshing it is to see an honest heart.

One woman's comment particularly spoke to me and has had me very excited. When she was asked what she hoped to gain from the study we are doing, she very openly admitted that in her fast-paced life she has only been doing a one-minute devotion. She then said, "that is no longer enough for me. I want more of God than that." Hallelujah! That is such a Godly desire! Matthew 5:6 says: "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled."
God will fill the desire for more of Him.

What is so awesome about being an active part of a small group of believers is that you have somewhere to share what God is doing in your life. A place to share your praises as well as your prayer needs. Your victories as well as your struggles. Who do you tell if you are not involved with a small group of believers?

Although, I do believe that being a part of a local church is important, I believe it needs to be deeper than that. You can have your name on a church role and go to worship service every Sunday and not speak to a soul. Where is the accountability in that? Yes, the "church" is counting your attendance, but who is counting on you. When you are involved with a small group, your presence, your input, and your contribution to the group is valued.

If you are not plugged into a small group of believers, I highly encourage you to find one. This might sound difficult, but there are many different Bible Study groups meeting almost everyday of the week in most areas. You can usually search your local church's websites for a list of studies/groups available. However, it doesn't even have to be that formal. You could start one yourself with two or three other believers in your home or at the coffee shop.

If you are actively involved in a small group, spend some time thanking God for the people in your small group. Pray for them specifically today. Send a card to someone in your group thanking them for devoting themselves "to the fellowship..."


1 comment:

B.J. Price said...

"If you are not plugged into a small group of believers, I highly encourage you to find one. This might sound difficult, but there are many different Bible Study groups meeting almost everyday of the week in most areas."

Great encouragement today! As you know, my other ministry commitments make it impossible for me to be involved in a small group on Sundays. I started a small group Bible study for men that meets every Wednesday at lunch at an area restaurant or at the park. It has made a huge impact in my life. I agree with you 100% about the importance of meeting with a small group of believers on a regular basis.

Thanks for sharing this word today.