Thursday, November 20, 2008

Taking the Advice of Others

Exodus 18:24-27

I promise this is our last day in Exodus 18. Probably! Seriously, there is at least one more lesson that I believe we can all learn from this text.

Jethro offered Moses advice on how to run his country. Jethro was older than Moses, but I think it is safe to say he was not as experienced. As far as we know, Jethro had never led a nation as large as the nation of Israel. One might almost expect Moses to say, "Hey! Who are you to tell me how to do my job?" or even "Thanks, but I'll do it my way." Yet, we see from scripture that Moses "listened" and "did everything" his father-in-law said. Although Moses had been highly honored by God to lead His people, he was not too proud to take advice from his father-in-law.

Do you know anyone that it seems like if you give them a suggestion you can almost guarantee that they are not going to do what you suggested? Or can you see some of those aspects in yourself? We must not be too proud to take advice or suggestions after we listen and weigh our options. To do so is truly a pride issue and sin before God. Ask God today if you are having trouble taking suggestions from other people. If so, ask Him to cleanse your heart of that attitude and help you to accept the advice from others.

My Bible study teacher said this week that "the mark of a leader is to not only give good advice, but be able to receive it". Wise counsel indeed.

No comments: