Wednesday, June 11, 2008

What If...

Psalm 124

I have said many times that nothing comes into our lives that has not passed through the merciful hand of our Sovereign Lord. I truly believe that statement. However, to believe that is to believe that He does allow painful things to come into our lives. I believe that as well. Why would He do that? I do not know the answer to that question, but I trust the answer given in scripture in Romans 8:28:

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

When I can't "trace His hand", I choose to "trust His heart".

Today, I want us think a little deeper about this fact. Our scripture passage shows us that the Israelites were acknowledging their realization of the fact that if God had not been on their side many terrible things would have happened to them. If God had not intervened on their behalf they would have been destroyed. As God's chosen people, Satan meant to destroy them. And while sometimes God allowed them to go through very difficult circumstances, He never allowed them to be completely destroyed.

Do you realize today that if God was not on your side you would have been destroyed by whatever painful experiences you have gone through? Satan meant to destroy you. He meant to take whatever circumstances you were in and destroy your life. The fact that you are reading this shows that he did not succeed!

One of the most powerful exercises I have ever done was when I was studying the Psalms of Ascent in a Beth Moore Bible study. When we came to this Psalm, she encouraged us to think about what might have happened if God had not intersected into our lives. If He had not intervened, where would we be? I want to give that same challenge today.

Spend some time with God today asking Him to show you what would have happened in your life if He had not been on your side. Ask for the Holy Spirit to help you and to reveal this to you as vividly as possible. Then spend some time thanking God that He rescued you from the enemy.

This is a very personal experience, but if you would like to post a comment about what the Lord has showed you today, please feel free.

I love you all and I thank God that He intervened in my life. I assure you I would not be writing anything about Him if He had not. Praise be to God forever and ever!

No comments: