Wednesday, March 11, 2009

At the Threshold of the Promised Land - Part 3

Number 14: 1-12

I must tell you that reading this vivid passage in the Bible literally brings me to tears. These people had seen the wonders of God, the provision of God, the blessings of God, and the literal glory of God yet they still do not believe. It is hard to comprehend.

Deuteronomy 1:27 tells us that the people literally grumbled in their tents saying, "the LORD hates us; so he brought us out of Egypt to deliver us into the hands of the Amorites to destroy us".

What makes this so heartbreaking to me is that I know that I have felt that way. I know that when I have been faced with opposition I have wondered, "why are You doing this to me?" Oh, how I have distrusted my loving God! It breaks my heart that the Israelites did it, but it breaks my heart even more that I did not learn from their example.

Moses and Aaron hit the dirt out of shame, but also probably because they were afraid God might justifiably wipe the people off the face of the Earth! Joshua and Caleb tore their clothes and tried to reason with these unbelieving people. But, then God shows up and speaks with Moses. God asks Moses how long would these people, His people, treat Him with contempt!

When we fail to trust God and believe His promises, we are treating the Lord with contempt. It is rebellion and it is sin. Is that really how we want to treat the God that gave His only Son so that we might have a relationship with Him? Do we really want to treat Him with contempt? Do you really believe God? Not do you believe in God, but do you believe Him?

He is worthy of our trust. Ask Him to reveal any area of unbelief to you today and then ask Him to "Help your unbelief". An honest cry for help He will not deny.

No comments: