Friday, February 27, 2009

More Complaining...

Numbers 11:4-6, 18-20, 31-35

Even after being punished with the fire, the people are still wailing about their circumstances. This time, it's about the food. We may be sympathetic to the Israelites because we have an abundance of different foods everyday. God was moving them into a new land that would be "flowing with milk and honey". However, they could not be thankful for their "daily bread". They desired different and more. This must be understood as ingratitude and ultimately sin.

Their issue was not really about the food. It was really about their dissatisfaction with their circumstances and with God. They were rejecting God Himself. This lesson that they learned is so applicable to us today. In our society, it is the norm to be dissatisfied with our current lifestyle. To always want more or different is acceptable. Unfortunately, when we reject what God has given us we are rejecting God.

We must ask ourselves: Am I rejecting God because I don't like what He has given me? Am I dissatisfied with my spouse, my job, my house, or anything else in my life because I want different or I want more?

Unfortunately, the end of the story is tragic. The people got their meat, but they did not even get to enjoy it. The old saying rings true: Be careful what you ask for because you just might get it.

No comments: