Monday, October 20, 2008

God Sings Lullabies

The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing." Zephaniah 3:17

I absolutely love to decorate for holidays. The minute it looked like fall might be in the air, I got out all of my fall decor. Now since Halloween is just around the corner, we have several Halloween decorations around the house and in the yard. Even though we do not encourage the scary part of Halloween, Joel and Caleb really wanted to hang some "ghosts" in our trees. So we got some trash bags and stuffed them with news paper and hung them up. Unfortunately, Caleb (who is 2 years old) got a little scared of the "ghosts". We have told him they are just trash bags, but all the same every night this past week he has cried saying that he is scared.

A couple of nights ago when he was afraid, I told him that he did not have anything to be afraid. Mama and Daddy were right outside the door and that God was right there in the room with him. I told him the Bible says that we do not have to be afraid because He is always with us. He calmed down and I thought he went to sleep. About 15 minutes later I took some clothes into his room and I saw that he was still awake. I gave him a hug and he said, "God is with me". I said, "That's right and He loves you more than anything". Then Caleb said that he was going "night-night" but that God was not going "bye-bye". I affirmed him again, but then he said the most amazing thing. He said, "God is going to stay right here and sing to me". The Holy Spirit immediately brought Zephaniah 3:17 to my mind and I just stood there in awe at the mercy and love of God.

I do not think it is too presumptuous to believe that my two year old was truly experiencing the supernatural presence and peace of God. I truly believe that Caleb heard the voice of God in his little spirit. Even though Caleb has never even read or possibly even heard Zephaniah 3:17, his words affirm that it is true.

If only we could be more like that. God is singing over us. He delights to show us mercy (Micah 7:18) and yet we walk around sometimes like we have no hope. Let us not forget who is in control. Let us allow His presence to calm our spirits in times of suffering or trouble.

Let us hear God sing a lullaby to us.

No comments: