Tuesday, October 14, 2008

A Bout with Doubt

Luke 7:18-28

This is one of my favorite stories in the entire Bible! I know I say that all the time! I guess I just love the Bible! I struggled with doubt for many, many years and still struggle with unbelief at times. Anytime that I am praying about an issue that I have chosen to believe the voice of the accuser over the voice of God, God reminds me of this passage. How does God feel about doubt?

For years, I literally saw doubt as the unforgivable sin. If I doubted my salvation, I was not saved and I could never be saved because I doubted. Sounds crazy now, but the feelings were so real then. I'm not sure how I missed this passage of scripture for so many years. Let's review a little about John's life before we answer the question about how God feels about doubt.

John's birth was announced by an angel. John was filled with the Holy Spirit from birth. John was the "voice calling out in the wilderness: Prepare the way for the Lord". John recognized and baptized Jesus - the King of Kings and Lord of Lords. John's life was all about serving God and preparing the way for Jesus. He had one purpose and he fulfilled it.

But, toward the end of his life we see that he had a bout with doubt. He just wanted to make sure that Jesus was the Christ. Instead of hiding in fear, he took his questions and concerns to Jesus via his disciples. Now, I would expect Jesus to be upset about this question. Maybe even a little hurt. However, scripture shows us the exact opposite. Jesus tells them to go back to John and tell him what is going on. He offers assurance for his friend.

What is even more amazing is what Jesus says next. The King of the Universe then talks about how greatness of John's life. Jesus did not condemn John's questioning and doubting. He answered his questions and even offered encouragement.

God is big enough to handle our questions, our fears, and even our doubts. He is not offended by them. Let us not be afraid to voice to Him what is in our hearts. Bring your doubts, fears, and areas of unbelief to Him. That He can work with.

No comments: