Tuesday, September 9, 2008

The Spacious Place

Psalm 18:16-19

As I was preparing for my Bible study class this week I came across this passage of scripture and it literally jumped off the page to me. I realize that this is a Psalm of David and therefore applies to a circumstance that David was in when he wrote it, but I believe it can still apply to each of our lives today.

If you have accepted Christ as your personal Savior, then God has literally "reached down from on high and [taken] hold of [you]." Whether we knew it or not, we were drowning in our own sin and he "drew [us] out of the deep waters". He has rescued us from powerful enemies, mainly Satan. And when we are confronted with disaster, He is our support. All of this is absolutely wonderful, but the best part for me is the next verse.

"He brought me out into a spacious place; he rescued me because he delighted in
me."


The picture here is of a place where we are free to roam "unconfined by threats and dangers". No fear of anyone or anything. A place where we are not held captive by any sin or our own minds. The picture is of freedom. Why does God offer this to us? The answer is simply because He delights in us. Not because of what we did or did not do. Not because of what we look like or how much money we have. He offers us freedom in Christ because He wants to. Oh, how I love Him! I have spent my life trying to earn the approval of others, especially God. His word teaches me that I have had it all along. The only thing that stands in the way of us and freedom is ourselves. We must choose to believe Him over our own thoughts and feelings.

It is a fight to stay free. Satan will always try to weigh us down with the things of the world. My mind has been so bombarded lately with the world I feel as if I am digging my way out again. But, we can come to the "spacious place". He offers His hand to you today to bring you there. Will you take it?




No comments: