Thursday, July 3, 2008

A Reward

Psalm 127:3-5

If you usually read this blog at 6 am then you realize that I am late posting today. I am visiting my parents, and my children are running around like wild indians the way they do when they are at their grandparents! My dad calls them "earthquake" and "whirlwind"! Anyway, that might be the reason that God brought this particular scripture to my mind this morning.

Let me just go ahead and say what every mother feels but sometimes will not say out loud: Motherhood is HARD!! I am convinced that it is the hardest job in the world, and it has the most consequences as well. We are entrusted with lives! Sometimes the responsibility is over-whelming to me. I was talking with another mother who has grown children one day. She was literally going back over every decision that she had ever made as a mother and associating it with the negative behaviors of her children. I attempted to encourage her that her children were adults and were making their own decisions that they were responsible for. Unfortunately, I believe at this point she is still allowing Satan to decieve her. Shame is his game.

However, the conversation truly made me fall on my face that day in prayer for my children and for myself as a mother. I earnestly prayed that God would help me daily in the decisions that I make in raising my children. My prayer for the last couple of weeks has been that God will take every decision I make and use it for His glory in my children's lives. I am not going to always make the right decision and I know that I will mess up a million times, but I am clinging to the fact that "in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." (Romans 8:28).

I love the Lord and I know without a doubt that He has called me to Himself, so I can wholeheartedly claim this promise. And, I bet you can too. Claim it over your children's lives. They are a reward. One that I myself am so unworthy of. For me, motherhood is another picture of God's grace in my life. I pray that you will join me in praying for your children today as well as for yourself. If your children are grown, it is absolutely NOT TOO LATE! You still have such an impact on your children's lives and God still hears your prayers for them.

Motherhood is a holy calling. Let's do it together!

No comments: