Thursday, July 17, 2008

Friend of God?

James 2:23
John15:13-15

A few years ago a worship song came out called "Friend of God". It is a very catchy worship song and became very popular. We have sang it at my church many times. After it had been out for a while, I started hearing from people that are much smarter than me that the song was possibly not biblical. The argument was that this song refers to the friendship that God had with Abraham and that was a unique situation. Therefore, we are not all "friends" with God.

I thought about that argument for a while and almost bought into it. But, then I remembered other songs like "What a Friend we have in Jesus." What do we do with that song? Many hymns and worship songs today are not biblical, but I truly just did not think that these were.

I began searching for what the scripture teaches. Yes, I do believe that Abraham had a unique relationship with God, but Moses did as well (See Exodus 33:11). However, Jesus very plainly in scripture tells us exactly what we have to do to be His friends - "do what [He] commands" (John 15:14). Three times in John 15, Jesus calls the disciples His friends. I consider myself a follower or disciple of Jesus and although I fall short, I am striving to obey His commands. And Jesus is God, therefore I do not believe that it is presumptuous to say that I am a friend of God.

Before you think that this is a commercial for the worship song "Friend of God", let me make my point! Isn't that an amazing fact? Jesus Christ calls us His friends! The One that laid the foundations of the Earth offers me His friendship. He laid down His life so that we could be friends. He is so worthy of our love, our worship, our praise. So worthy.

Have you ever called and called someone, but they never seem to call you back? After you do that for a while, you might begin to assume that the other person does not want to be your friend. Call Jesus back right now! Spend some time with Him today letting Him know that you want to accept His offer of friendship. Then praise our Almighty God for the fact that He chooses to make Himself knowable to mankind.

No comments: