Monday, June 30, 2008

Sharing our Lives

1 Thessalonians 2:8

My husband has taught me that everything we do can be worship. He really is right about that, too!
Not only is singing, praying, studying God's word, or doing good work acts of worship, but we can offer our daily jobs as an act of worship. Whatever we are doing, if we are doing it "as working for the Lord" (See Colossians 3:23), then it truly can be worship.

This is also true in our personal relationships with other believers. Today's verse is one of my favorites, but the truth of it can also be convicting. Many times I am more than willing to share "the gospel of God" through teaching or talking with other believers, but am I as willing to share my life? Or am I too consumed with what I want to do or have to do to make time for other people?

In this fast paced, garage door society that we live in we can honestly go an entire day or more without even speaking to another soul face to face. Oh we may e-mail or text another person, but sometimes I personally do that so that I will not have to get into a long conversation face to face or on the phone. The funny thing is when I am lonely, I sometimes wonder why I do not have more close personal relationships.

Fellowship with other believers is a privilege, but it is also one of our purposes in the Christian life. We are not called to walk this journey alone. Sometimes because of experiences such as betrayal, it is difficult to "share [your] lives as well", but I know from experience that God will truly supply someone or several someones that you can truly share your life with. However, it might be someone you least expect.

Let's never stop sharing our lives with other believers. The "Elaine" paraphrase is: Let's never stop making friends! I challenge you today to share you life with another believer today and it can not be through a text message!

No comments: