Thursday, May 22, 2008

Peace like none other...

Isaiah 48:18

After two days of talking about obedience, disobedience, and consequences, I wanted to offer you some awesome encouragement today. Our verse today totally revolutionized my way of thinking after I really let it sink in to my soul. The verse is set in the past tense "If only you had..." which means that the Israelites didn't pay attention to God's commands, but what it means to me is that I can have peace in my life when I pay attention and follow God's commands.

A few years ago I heard a interview with Harrison Ford. The interviewer said something to the effect of "You have achieved so much. Is there anything else you want out of life?" Ford's answer was, "Peace." Wow! How amazing his answer was to me. Here is a man that has truly achieved all this world has to offer - money, fame, fortune, the applause of man and yet he still longs for peace in his soul. This confirms that peace cannot be found in the things of the world.

However, I have been following Christ for quite sometime and yet I still find there are times that I don't have peace. One time in particular that I recall was after the birth of my second son, Caleb. In April of 2006, I started sensing the Holy Spirit leading me to stay home with my children. Joel was three at the time and Caleb was due in July. I was only working 3 days a week and I really felt like I needed to work for my family. I pushed this leading away for months and went back to work as scheduled in October.

The only word that I can find to express how I felt for the next few months is misery. Not only was I miserable, but Caleb was sick continuously. Before the winter was over he had had bronchitis three times and was taking breathing treatments everyday. I would get in my car everyday and the conviction would fall. I would pray, but the conviction was almost unbearable. I started talking with God honestly about why I felt I needed to work and just asked Him that if this was truly his leading that He would work these issues out. He did and one day driving home from work with the conviction of the Holy Spirit throughout my car I said, "Okay, I'll do it!" The peace immediately flowed through me and I just wanted to shout! So I did! God brought this verse to my mind that day and in many days that followed.

"Peace would have been like a river..." may not sound all that peaceful to you, but if God is with me on the ride then count me in. Even in the rapids, if you know you are being obedient the peace will continue to flow.

No comments: