Monday, May 19, 2008

My Deepest Longing...

Psalm 84:10
Philippians 1:21-24

Recently B.J. and I went to see the new movie Prince Caspian. It is the second installment of the Chronicles of Narnia movies based on the world famous books by C.S. Lewis. We have been Narnia fans for quite some time so of course we loved it! We love the books not only because they are wonderful works of fiction, but also because the spiritual truths in them run deep.

I was reminded in the movie of something God taught me last summer when we were reading through all of the books. In the book, Voyage of the Dawn Treader, Edmund and Lucy are about to be sent home from Narnia. They begin to question Aslan about when they will be returning to Narnia. Aslan tells them very gently that they will never return to the magical land of Narnia. Edmund and Lucy are terribly upset and then Lucy says:

"It isn't Narnia, you know," sobbed Lucy. "It's you. We shan't meet you there. And how can we live, never meeting you?"

I read those words and felt as if I were Lucy being pulled away from my beloved Savior. There have been times on Earth that I have experienced the presence of God in such a powerful way that I didn't ever want to leave. I just wanted to stay in His presence. As I read those words I finally saw the true picture of heaven. We sing songs about the wonderful things we will see in heaven. We talk about "when I get to heaven" this and "when I get to heaven" that. The Bible gives us as vivid of a description as it can, but yet we have so many unanswered questions about heaven. But, the bottom line is heaven will be heaven because Jesus is there. We will fall into His arms and just be with Him. We will finally be with someone who knows us, I mean truly knows us and loves us anyway. No rejection, no fear, no guilt, no shame. Just pure, intimate acceptance. Heaven.

Narnia is a magical place in the books, but Lucy saw past all that and into the truth. It wasn't the beauty or the magic that drew her there, it was Aslan. The same truth goes for us. It won't be heaven because of the beauty or the people we will see. It will be heaven because we will finally be with Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith.

I truly do long to be with Him. Of course, I want to see my children grow up and continue to walk with Christ daily, but I do not fear that day. No matter how old I get before He calls me home, in my heart, I will always be Lucy.

"Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror, then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known." 1 Corinthians 13:12 (NIV)

4 comments:

B.J. Price said...

"It won't be heaven because of the beauty or the people we will see. It will be heaven because we will finally be with Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith."

This is very well said. I agree.

sherry said...

I love the line "pure, intimate acceptance- Heaven." Those very words cause my shoulders to relax and a smile to come to my face. Isn't that what we all long for more than anything? The safety of being intimately known and purely accepted. No fear of disapproval, rejection. Never again feeling halfway loved, a little bit safe. It will all be okay then. Peace will prevail in us because the Prince of Peace Himself will reign and we will have the incredible joy of never having to leave Him.

Elaine R. Price said...

"Isn't that what we all long for more than anything? The safety of being intimately known and purely accepted."

I am so thankful that you understand what the Holy Spirit is teaching me. It was very difficult to put into words. Thanks for your encouragement. I love you sister!

Barbra said...

This is great. Thanks for inviting me to participate.