Thursday, May 29, 2008

"Is My Master Satisfied with Me?"

Isaiah 53
Isaiah 53:11

I am satisfied with Jesus
He has done so much for me
He has suffered to redeem me
He has died to set me free
I am satisfied, I am satisfied,
I am satisfied with Jesus,
But the question comes to me,
As I think of Calvary,
Is my Master satisfied with me?
B. B. McKinney
Copyright 1926 Broadman Press


I grew up singing this hymn and it asks a great question: "Is my Master satisfied with me?" I have an extremely people pleasing personality. Some of the greatest moments in my life that I can remember are times that I pleased someone that I truly looked up to. Unfortunately, this became a stronghold in my life. The quest to be perfect dominated my thought life at times. But by God's grace, I have experienced consistent victory in this area for quite some time.

Given my personality, this was a question that I asked myself about my relationship with everyone, but especially in my relationship with God. I truly want my life to be pleasing to God and that is a godly desire, meaning I believe that He gave me that desire. The line is crossed however, when we desire for our worship of God, our good works, our service, our love, or our whatever to satisfy God.

Look at the scripture one more time...

"After the suffering of his soul, he will see the light of life and be satisfied." Isaiah 53:11

Jesus paid the price for all sin when He died on the cross. John the Baptist said, "Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!" When we accept what Jesus did on the cross as the atonement of our personal sins and place our trust in Him for salvation, our sin is taken away. Therefore, nothing else needs to be done in order for God to be satisfied with us. He is satisfied with His Son's work on the cross.

This revelation truly set me free to love God, worship God, and serve God without feeling like I had to be perfect. I will never be perfect, but He has chosen to have perfect love for me. Oh, how thankful I am that He loves me! Now, we can love Him in return. (see 1 John 4:10).

So, the answer to the hymn's age old question and the question that might have lingered in your soul is a resounding, "YES! My master is satisfied with me!" I pray you will let the truth of God's Word sink in to your very bone, marrow, and soul today. Let it change your very thought process about your relationship with God.

"Your service might please God. Your worship might exalt God. And, your study might reveal God. But, you need never aspire to satisfy God. He is satisfied, satisfied with the work of His Son."
Max Lucado

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you, Jesus! What a refreshing word!